A well planned murder

I knew something was not right, someone was visiting my home when I was out, or in the darkness of the night. The very thought of me, and my house getting attacked sent a chill down my spine. I couldn't just wait and watch for the attacker to follow its plan. So I made up my mind, and decided to take action. Its either me or the attacker who wins. Yes! its gonna be a battle. I felt like I was Kevin, from the movie Home Alone. Just like it shows the child actor making a plan of action and implementing it, it was time for me to do the same. So, my first step was to check the places of entry and exit from where the attacker could come. Then I needed to find the spots where they could hide. Next, came the list of things I will need to decoy the attacker, for which I had to go to the supermarket.
I was feeling quite tensed pushing the shopping cart from aisle to aisle, checking out the products that will be highly poisonous, and things that will act as a trap. I felt few eyes gazing at me from time to time, as if I was doing something wrong. Was I? It was definitely not easy to chose the products. The whizzing AC added to the situation, making every second even more dramatic. It was like time had stopped, people had stopped doing whatever they were up to, and all eyes were on me. It took me a moment to close my eyes, pinch myself and realize that I was not dreaming. I was just been too cautious. The squeaky sound the wheels of the cart made as I moved it every time, made me compare it to the gurney taking a dead body in a morgue as shown in horror movies. I knew it was insane of me to think so, but I couldn't help it. Finally, after all the glares, and all the strenuous moments, my cart was filled with the necessary arms and ammunitions to kill the invader. Yes, kill! Exerting all the force in me, I pushed the cart towards the billing counter.
I then kept all the items from the cart onto the counter. The cashier looked at me with suspicious eyes, each time as he picked up an item and ran the bar code across the detector. With every beeping sound the bar codes made, my heart was pounding. I felt others could hear it, apart from me, and looked around. Thank God! It was just me. So, I took a deep breath, calmed myself down, while the cashier was filling the shopping bags with my purchase, thus taking control of the situation. One last time, I checked the bill thoroughly, paid the exact change, and exited the store.
Carrying the bags in both my hands, I walked in the direction where my car was parked. Every step towards it made me feel like I walking miles and miles, and there was still a long distance to reach, even though the distance towards the parking lot was a short one. Beads of sweat was rolling down my forehead, my lips had gone dry, and I started to feel the pain of the weight I was carrying in my hands. A shadow of a man walking in some distance gave me the jitters. My imagination was taking its turn, and  I felt I was walking in a zombie land, and could be attacked any moment. The honking of a car, suddenly woke me up from my thoughts, and brought me back to reality. I felt relieved, and expressed my gratitude to God, for keeping me alive and helping me reach my car without any harm. It sounds weird, but the dreams and comparisons that was haunting me was no less than the attacker.
Keeping the bags down, I put my right hand into the sling bag that was hanging across my shoulder, and fumbled for the car key. In a matter of seconds I took it out, and with the press of a button on the keypad, unlocked the car. I opened the trunk, kept the shopping bags in it and closed it tight. After sitting in the car, inserting the key and turning on the engine, the sound of ignition, was more like the roar of a monster. Every little thing was terrifying me now. But I couldn't let myself get scared or worried about anything. I had to be strong. I had a plan. How could I forget that? It was too late to go back. I had to carry on my plans at any cost. With this sheer determination, I took the car out of the parking lot and drove in silence, running my plan in my mind several times while checking for loop holes too. It had to be fool proof. There could be no room for error.
 As I drove, a hoarding on the side of the road said 'Time is short.' Was it telling me anything? I felt like I was carrying time bombs in the boot of my car, which could explode any minute. It literally gave me goose bumps. It was getting dark, as I pulled the car in the parking lot of my building. It didn't look like it would rain in this peak summer. However, clouds had started gathering. I took all the shopping bags from my car, locked it and walked towards the elevator. Waiting for the lift, seemed like eternity. I was losing patience, and was thinking of taking the stairs, when the elevator reached with a shudder, and the doors flung open making a squeal, as if it hasn't been oiled and maintained for ages. I got in, pressed the number of the floor I had to go to, and waited anxiously while the doors closed behind. With the same shudder it crawled upwards, and as it reached my floor, it jerked and came to a halt. The doors opened slowly, and I stepped out and walked towards my flat.
I stood outside the door for few seconds to see if anybody was following me, or if I could hear any sound. Once I confirmed it was all clear, I put in the keys, opened the door, stepped inside, shut the door and locked it well. It was completely dark, and it took some time for my eyes to adjust to the darkness, look for the switches and turn on the light. I then checked all the rooms for any evidence of rummage. It was all just the way I had left behind. With a relief, I went to pick up the bags that were left at the entrance of the door. I then stashed it in the cabinet where all the poisonous things, traps and tools are kept.
After a tiring day, I decided to take a shower, relax, have my dinner, watch some Tv and forget what was lying ahead. The duration of leisure was short and quick. The moment had arrived for me to swing into action. So I went to the room where I had stored my recent purchase, chose the necessary ammunitions I needed. After covering my mouth with a surgical mask, I started laying the traps wherever I felt was necessary by following the instructions on the bottle of chemicals. The air was filled with a pungent odor.  I then switched off all the lights, and waited silently with bated breath.
As the clock ticked, each second felt like hours. Minutes passed by, so I decided to switch on the lights to check the traps. One by one, I checked the rooms, finally reaching the kitchen. My intuition was telling me that the attacker is already there, and will reveal itself. Bingo! I was right. I saw it running across the floor and trying to hide itself in the corner of a cabinet. Immediately, I took the spray with a long nozzle and aimed it at the hiding spot. With one press, the chemicals ejected with a hissing sound. I knew I had the attacker under the spell of the chemicals now. It was going to die a slow death. So, I pushed the shelf aside a bit, to have a good look at the attacker, and there it was, lying upside down, shivering and battling for life. I had a good smile on my face seeing my enemy lose the battle. Even after using all its strength, the attacker couldn't run. Eventually, it gave up. It breathed its last. Its body lay numb. Just to make sure it was not playing any trick, I tried to poke it using the nozzle of the bottle. Thanks to the harsh chemicals, there was no movement. The attacker was really dead. I felt great triumph and proud of myself. I had won over my attacker - the cockroach. Like someone said, 'Victory is sweet.' No matter who your enemy is, who you overpower and win over.

Comments

Popular Posts